"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Philippians 4:13

Monday, August 30, 2010

Calf Roper...Oil...16 x 20
$600 Sold
This is a painting of a friend of mine who is a PRCA
calf roper. We spent the afternoon with me in the
practice arena taking photos of him coming right
at me. I kid him by telling everyone I had to do a
painting with the rope over his head, since he never
got the rope over the calf's head. Actually he roped
and tied several calves. We have a large rodeo
in Sikeston, and there is much interest in rodeo art.
I wanted to capture the action of the horse and rider.
I placed the horse and calf in a diagonal design
with the most detail in the horse and rider. Prints
and note cards are available of this painting.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn!... Love the "painterly quality of your work and your thoughtful compositions!

    I particularly am drawn to "The End of the Season" piece... it evokes "parallel" journeys that we share... beyond our passion for painting! Strange how lives are entwined... even across vast distances!

    Gopod Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn, Your work is wonderful, impressionistic and painterly. I love the subjects you choose to paint too, being from Ohio this all looks like home to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bruce for your comment. End of the Season holds a special place in my heart. Glad you liked it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Barbara for your comment. Your snow scene just blew me away

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the dynamism in this painting...happy to have spotted you blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks sparrowhawk. That was the key to the whole painting, trying to capture the speed of the event. It was a little frightening standing in the arena with the calf coming at you, not knowing which way to jump.

    ReplyDelete